Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I Have a Bengal cat, 1 year old boy, a month ago he start to

Customer Question

Hi
I Have a Bengal cat, 1 year old boy, a month ago he start to have a sore on his lips, we took him to the vet, they give him a some kind of spray, and antibiotic, but he still have the same thing, and it is even look worse!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the sore heal at all with their treatment?

Has Simba had any issues with fleas?

Any diet changes?

What type of bowl is he fed in?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor

I didn't really see any healing, it actually look worse to me, it started at the corner of his lip, and now it is all over his lips.

He is eating from a stainless steel bowl, and didn't change his dite recently, we feed them blue buffalo cat food, which is rated high.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on the photos, Simba's lip looks to be affected by an eosinophilic granuloma. This is an immune reaction caused by an overactive population or eosinophils. This is the white blood cell that reacts to allergies and parasites.

In regards ***** ***** these, they can be tricky since they can recur (since it is the result of a sensitive immune system). Still, there are some steps you take to try and manage this. To start, if you have not wormed or flea'd him recently, it is highly advisable to do so and keep up on that monthly (since those white cells are triggered by parasites). Further to this, you can trial him on an antihistamine (ie Benadryl/Diphenhydramine - More Info/Dose HERE) to counter the immune reaction. As well, we do find that the natural anti-inflammatory effects of omega 3+6 fish oils (20mg per pound of body weight) beneficial for mild cases. Finally, if this persists, then you will want to speak to his vet about a long acting injectable steroid to just halt the immune reaction.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

* Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Moamen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.