Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has been defecating out of the box few months. Her

Customer Question

Hello. My cat has been defecating out of the box for a few months. Her stool was loose and had blood in it. After trying a fiber diet, metro, and even anxiety meds, the vet put her on prednisone. The pred improved the look of the stool but she's still defecating out of the box, and the past few days while defecating she also urinated. The vet thinks it's because of the prednisone, she's currently on 7.5 mg a day.
Also, recently she's become quite vocal, and she cries when she's left alone downstairs if everybody else (humans and cats) are upstairs.
She's only 4 and hyperthyroidism would be unusual at her age but I wonder if that could be the cause. Any help would be appreciated.
Stefania Nardi
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello Stefania,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Camilla . My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Have any tests been done to find out what causes the loose stool with blood: microscopic exam of her stool, Xrays or ultrasound, blood tests? Have you tried any special diets?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I agree that hyperthyroidism would be rare in a cat as young as she is, but it does sometimes happen. Usually cats with hyperthyroidism are losing weight but eating excessively. They usually have a high heart rate as well. Being more vocal can be a sign of hyperthyroidism. It can be diagnosed with a blood test.

If she has a dietary allergy or IBD, inflammatory bowel disease, she would respond to prednisone. 7.5 mg is a fairly high dose. You might consider trying a diet that helps to treat IBD and dietary allergies, like Royal Canin GI diet. I have a cat that I got from the shelter; no one wanted him because he always had diarrhea with blood and mucus. I tried lots of things and did lots of testing but as soon as I started him on this diet, he is better.

There is a drug called budesonide that might help her. We use it to treat IBD; it has the effects of the prednisone on the intestines, but is not absorbed into her whole body.

Her not using the litter box could be related to discomfort if she has IBD, or it could be a behavior problem. You should have as many litter boxes as cats, plus one. So, if she is an only cat, you should have two. Adding Cat Attract to the litter or even catnip to the litter may help.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Stefania,

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else? Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Rebecca. No tests have been done at this point other than fecal exams. She's eating Royal Canin Intestinal, and I was trying to switch her to a better, high protein diet, but she developed scabs in her face and the vet told me it could be allergy to the new food I was introducing so we're back to the Intestinal, which I don't think is very nutritious.
She's one of three cats and we have six litter boxes right now, which we scoop daily and replace whenever our noses let us know it's time.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I actually do think the Royal Canin food is nutritious, and it does come in a "high energy" formula. My cat eats nothing but the GI high energy, canned and dry, and not only does he not have diarrhea when he eats it, he is thriving: shiny coat, bright eyes, good energy.

Sounds like you have plenty of litter boxes!

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Camilla? Can I answer or help with anything else?