Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat was bitten by another cat and it abcessed. We had the

Customer Question

Hi, my cat was bitten by another cat and it abcessed. We had the affected area drained today, and they want her to wear a cone. The cone is making her absolutely berserk, and I can't keep it on her. How can I treat these wounds, so that they heal with out battling her to wear the cone? I really appreciate your advice, I am totally stressed out by this. :-(
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Keira has an abscess. Where is the abscess on her body? Can you put a tiny t-shirt (like an infant onesie) on her to cover the wound?

The best treatment for open abscesses is antibiotics and to minimize licking. You can minimize licking with an e-collar or a t-shirt. Some cats actually leave the abscesses alone after they are open and cleaned because they are no longer painful.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bites (3 of them) are on her right hip. Not sure that a onsie would cover the affected area. I don't think so, is an e collar the same as a cone? (which looks like a funnel that fits over her head.) if so, that is what she hates and is making her act crazy.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

First, yes, an e-collar is the same as a cone. It stands for Elizabethan Collar, similar to collars that Queen Elizabeth used to wear in the 1600s.

I would try taking off the collar and see if she leaves the wounds alone. Are the wounds starting to dry out? Once they are dry, most cats usually leave the wounds alone. The problem would be if the wounds have stitches in them. External stitches often drive cats crazy and they will pull them out.

Besides that, I don't have any other ideas, but you may have to weigh the pros and cons of no collar and licking the wounds vs her going crazy with collar on.

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda