Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What causes blood in a cat's stool?

Customer Question

What causes blood in a cat's stool?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Mitten had blood in her stool?

How much have you seen? A spoonful, more, or less?

Are her stools soft, diarrhea, firm, or normal?

When was she last wormed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the first time she had blood in her stool, about a tablespoon. She normally is more active, waking me up for feeding, she has remained in the same spot I left her at last night. She is strictly an indoor cat, we have a 2 year old cat that she is usually active with as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also is refusing to eat, which is not her at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on her signs, our main concern for blood in her stool would be inflammation and irritation of the lower GI or colon. Specifically, we could see this plus lethargy and nausea due to bacterial colitis, whipworms, protozoal infections (ie Coccidia, Giardia, etc) and in some cases we can see this secondarily to dietary or stress induced sensitivities. Less common issues with her age and signs would be anal gland disease or rectal polyps/growths.

Now in her situation, we'd want to try some supportive care to rule out and address some of these signs. To start, if she hasn't been wormed recently, then it would be ideal to do so at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to use a good quality broad spectrum wormer (ie Milbemax, Drontal, Panacur), which you can get over the counter.

Further to this, do consider putting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk),meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. This should be offered as small frequent meals to address any GI upset and soothe an inflamed GI. If she settles with this diet change, you can change her back to her normal food but do wean her back slowly to avoid relapse.

As well, since we can see colonic inflammation cause nausea, I would note that if she isn't keen to eat the above, then we can also try her with an antacid. Common options we can use in cats are:

*Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Finally, I would note that since an imbalance in the gut's good bacteria and overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria can trigger bacterial colitis, it can be of benefit to support her good GI bacteria. To do so, there are a range of cat probiotics (ie Fortiflora) on the market. Though if you found her stools to be runny, then you can get a probiotic/kaolin combination product like Fast Balance, Pro-pectalin or Protexin Prokolin to use for Mitten. Just to note, these are all OTC at vets, some pet stores, and even Amazon.

Overall, these would be our concerns for the signs you are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to take the above steps to see if we can soothe her gut and settle this for her If you do try these but do not see this settling within in 12-24 hours, then we’d want to consider following up with her vet. In that case, you may want to bring a fresh fecal sample for your vet to send to the lab. This can be checked for common parasitic, protozoal,and bacterial causes for her colitis. Depending on which agent is present, your vet can dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) to treat this effectively and settle it for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try your suggestions, and if I see no improvement, I will go to our local vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action for Mitten. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.