Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am xxxx xxxxx in Alaska. My female cat is 13 years old.

Customer Question

I am xxxx xxxxx in Alaska. My female cat is 13 years old. She came inside the house and yelled like I've never heard. Then she squated down and did not move for5 hours but her sides keep twitching like there is a live rat inside her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cheeka. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I just now came online, and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. Can I still be of help? How is she doing now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still sitting on the floor. I brought some water to her at 4:30 this morning. She drank some of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not gone outside where her sandbox is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been over 24 hours. Am I supposed to get an answer from the cat veterinarian soon? Did I not pay enough money?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did get in touch yesterday, and asked if you still needed help. I did not see your response to me until now. Sorry I was not online when you were last night.

I see that Cheeka is drinking; is she eating at all?

The first way to learn what is wrong with her would be to examine her: listen to her heart and lungs, feel her pulses, palpate her lymph nodes and internal organs, take her temperature, check her hydration, feel her back and legs for areas of swelling and pain, test her reflexes. Are her sides still twitching? That can be a sign of pain, but does not tell me where the pain is. Is she eating at all? If not, she is probably becoming dehydrated and may need supplemental fluids.

If her gums look pale, she probably needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. All you really can do for a cat at home is to keep her hydrated by offering water, Pedialyte, and broth. There are very few over the counter drugs that are safe for cats, most do more harm than good.

She really needs to be examined, to find out where her problem is, and to be started on pain medication.

You can check her for dehydration: Gently pinch skin over her shoulders and let go. It should go right back into position in less than a minute; it it takes longer she is dehydrated and probably needs to see a veterinarian to get supplemental fluids (IV or injected under her skin).

Let me know how she is doing. I will be online for another hour or two this morning, then later this afternoon. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cat Cheeka died about 7 hours ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were not able financially to go to a vet.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

My sincere condolences. I am so sorry to hear that. If she was that ill or wounded, there may not have been anything a veterinarian could have done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much did you charge my credit card?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did not charge your credit card. I answer questions; I don't have access to payment information. You can get your deposit back from the website anytime. You can contact the website moderators using the drop down menu.

My sincere condolences about Cheeka. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please show me where the drop down menu is. I've searched the whole page. Thank you, Carl
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I don't see what you do. You should see some link for you to contact customer service or the moderators.

I only sent info requests, and you never gave a rating, so you will get your deposit back.

I will try to contact the moderators on your behalf.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I sent the moderators a message.

My sincere condolences again. Rebecca