Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have two cats and last night I put wet car food on a paper

Customer Question

I have two cats and last night I put wet car food on a paper plate for them, which was the first time. This morning I found that half of the thin water paper plate was eaten and I am worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because one (or both?) of your kitties ingested part of a thin paper plate when eating canned food last night.

In most cases paper is broken down fairly well by stomach acid so I would not be concerned, especially if they ripped it up at all before swallowing it and it was a regular very thin plate (not the very thick cardboard-like variety).
The plate was likely saturated with juices from the food, which is probably why it was eaten, but that too will make it easier to break down and pass.

It is very unlikely this will cause an obstruction, but do watch for loss of appetite, repeated vomiting, a tense painful abdomen or not passing stools.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susanne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to check in and make sure your kitties are fine and that you don't have any questions for me. If you could give me an update that would be great, thanks, ***** *****