Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just curious. How much cocoa can be dangerous cat? My cat

Customer Question

Hi. Just curious. How much cocoa can be dangerous for a cat? My cat just licked a bit of the pear with cocoa preserve i made. I don't think she had that much. I used about 2 tablespooons of cocoa for the whole preserve and she just ate about 1/2 teaspooon of the made preserve. I am just curious because she tends to be around thr kitchen every time I cook and I want to avoid accidents. Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Cocoa powder is the most concentrated form of chocolate, thus it has the highest levels of toxins.

A 10 pound cat would only need to ingest 3.5grams of cocoa powder to see symptoms of toxicity including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. There are about 29 grams per tablespoon, so if there are 2 tablespoons there are about 58 grams in this recipe. I don't know how much this recipe makes, but if the cocoa were evenly distributed she would need to eat about 1/16th of the recipe or more to get sick if she weighs 10 pounds or less.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cocoa was evenly distributed and she weights around 4 kg. Should i be concerned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think she ate about 1/2 teaspoon of a 500 ml recipe. Not that much

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

If she's 8 pounds then she'd need to eat 2.8 grams of cocoa powder, or roughly 1/20th of the entire recipe.

There are roughly 100 teaspoons in 500mls, and she only ate 1/2 teaspoon, so I don't believe she ate enough to cause any toxicity.