Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What can I give my cat to alleviate her stress and incessant

Customer Question

What can I give my cat to alleviate her stress and incessant meowing?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has anything changed at home that could be stressing her?

Does she seem to be crying/yowling without an obvious reason?

Has she been drinking more? Passing more urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had 3 bengals. 1 was stolen about a year ago, and Lucy's sister had cancer & we put her down 4-5 months ago. So she's never been alone, also I have a 2 1/2 year old so after 12 years she's not attention #1. Her meowing will go on for hours so loud, it stresses the entire house out. I was thinking possible diabetes at first but I just think she is traumatized
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the dilemma in this situation is that we do have a few reasons for Lucy’s behavior. At her age, we can see vocalization related to elevated blood pressure and feline dementia. As well, if this has coincided with the loss of her last familiar companion, then stress would be another differentials for us here.

With this all in mind, I’d note that our approach to dementia and stress induced vocalization would be similar to one another. The aim in both are to simulate a peaceful safe environment for the affected cat to aid them coping with the changes they are experiencing. To do so, we often will use Feliway, (also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores). This is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to soothe kitty anxiety. This can be used as a spray (that can be used on furniture or her cat bed) or a plug-in diffuser. This may just be enough to soothe her and help her cope. As well, there is also a diet on the market called Calm by Royal Canin. This contains a number of supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Kalmaid or Zylkene (which you mix into their food), which can soothe anxious cats. And as these are not drugs per say, they can be used together as needed.

Otherwise, a concern to me with her signs and your mention of thinking she was a diabetic (which makes me wonder if you are seeing increased thirst/urination even though not commenting on such), her signs could be related to an elevated blood pressure. This is very common in elderly cats and can be a primary issue but it can also be secondary to other conditions (ie kidney/liver/heart/thyroid disease, etc). And this often appears as disorientation and vocalization (sometimes at night) in affected cats. So, this is also a concern for Lucy. Though it is one that can be tested for by her vet (by taking a blood pressure) and treated medically (by addressing any primary cause +/- with blood pressure medication as needed).

Overall, we do have a few concerns for Lucy's signs. Therefore, I would advise addressing the stress/dementia angle at this point. But if she doesn't settle, then it'd be advisable to have your local vet test her blood pressure to make sure this isn't the actual trigger for her current vocalization.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Annastacia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.