Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is about 15 years old. It has a few tumors on it. The

Customer Question

my cat is about 15 years old. It has a few tumors on it. The fur is gone from his neck. Then a large lump on the side that is now furless probably because the cat licked it. What are they? I am willing to spend a little but the cat is old. Just don't want to put him down if this is treatable with an antibiotic cream.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If the lump originates on the skin, I might be able to tell you what it might be. If the lump originates under the skin, I can only guess. That type of lump needs to be needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically in order to determine the cell of origin. Can you upload a photo of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure how I can send an email direct to you. I have taken two pictures and sent it to my email. I would like to forward that email to you. I'm not great at the technology of sharing photos. This was the only way I could think of how to do it.

I understand.***@******.*** can help you. They can forward photos to me and I'll then return to our conversation as soon as I review the photos. That can take up to 24 hours.

I just received the photo. Thank you! The lump has a nicely benign appearance. It's well circumscribed and should be easy to remove with the likelihood that it wouldn't return. This won't respond to conservative therapy such as a topical cream. Considering his age, I wouldn't anesthetize him but, instead, infiltrate the area around the tumor with a local anesthetic and quickly remove it and place a few stitches. I'm afraid that if you leave it alone it will continue to enlarge and/or rupture and bleed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?