Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

This is a unique situation…. I have a 13 year old cat who

Customer Question

This is a unique situation…. I have a 13 year old cat who has never been touched other than trapping her as a baby to fix her. She lives on my property outside. She recently stopped eating and I managed to trap her in my garage which leads to a bedroom I now have her in. I can't catch her to put her in a carrier to go to the vet. Is it worse for this cat to be held against her nature or is it okay to keep her in for a while? She's climbing the walls at times and seems relaxed other times. I just want to get her help before I let her out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Bless you for taking such great care of Nala even though she has seemed ungrateful.

You are doing the exact right thing. It is more stressful for her to be outside sick than to be confined in your garage with you and a cat she trusts.

Anytime a cat stops eating she is either sick or in pain.There are many things that can affect 13 year old kitty that lives outside.

You can try a few things to calm her down and perhaps get her into a carrier to be seen.

Get a jar of turkey baby food with no onion or garlic. Or a can of little friskies turkey and giblets pate food. Turkey contains l-triptophan and is sleep inducing.

Add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton to a tablespoon of food It is a teeny pill sold OTC near benedryl. She will not detect it in her food but it will make her sleepy.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Put more food all the way in the back of the carrier. Totally ignore her. Make believe she is not even there. When she goes into eat calmly close the door. Then just take her to the vet. Keep the carrier covered in the car to keep her calm. Please let me know how things go. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terri thank you for sharing it's better she's inside….. the problem is she won't eat so she will not go into the carrier for food. I do give her warmed turkey baby food right now. Is there another way to get her in the carrier?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

How are you getting the warm baby food into her?

What and when did she eat last?

Is there a mobile vet in your town that could come to the house to see her?

If you give me your zip code I will find one for you.