Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat is 10 years old and is just now beginning to

Customer Question

My cat is 10 years old and is just now beginning to periodicaly have hairballs. They look like a stool, and he howls and then just throws up and goes on his way. Can they kill him? I have heard horror stories. I am all alone 82 yrs. old and he is my best friend. What can I do to make them go away?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lets just drop the whole idea. We are just going around and around. Have a nice day. I will seek advice elsewhere. Thanks. S. Shurtz
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I'm sorry to hear about your boy.

Is there hair in the vomitus when he throws up? At 10 years of age it is possible that the vomiting is something more serious than hairball, such as some kind of systemic disease (kidney or other). You would need to see a veterinarian for a work up to ensure that nothing else is going on.

But if this is truly just hairballs then the best thing to do is eliminated his swallowing of hair. Is he grooming excessively? If he is then I would check for any skin problems, including fleas. If he is long haired I might try shaving him. If you can't do that then daily or every other day treatment with laxatone can help.

Hairballs are usually benign and don't cause serious medical problem. Rarely they can cause a blockage which could be life threatening, but that is very rare.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. . My local Vet was, to say the least blasee. I do appreciate your input but WHAT DO I DO NOW? Just wait and see what happens? Somehow, that does not fit the bill. I shall seek out a local vet. I do not want to become a member of your club. Gave me NO prognosis, NOTHING . I already know what a hairball looks like. UGH
Have a nice Xmas.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

The most effective thing for cats with hair balls is to shave them... especially if they are long haired. I would do that if possible. I would also give lacatone every other day.

I'm sorry you were not happy with the service. This is meant to be an interactive chat if you needed more information you could have asked. Good luck with your local vet.