Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Trying to determine if a stray cat has all it's shots. Cat

Customer Question

Trying to determine if a stray cat has all it's shots. Cat is a 10 year old neutered male with a chip.The former owner is unable to be located.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and congratulation on your new friend. You have two choices when it comes to vaccinating this kitty. The first choice is to booster him with the FVRCP (aka feline distemper or feline upper respiratory vaccine) and the Rabies vaccine. You will have to vaccinate him for rabies regardless to make him legal with animal control and your county. The second choice is to send out blood work for vaccine titers to the FVRCP and FELV (Feline leukemia) vaccines. This is costly and involves a blood draw from your kitty that must be submitted by your regular veterinarian.

I have included a link to a discussion on all topics related to vaccines including testing for vaccine titers.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=524

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is your kitty this evening?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda