Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat, 13 lbs, age 2 1/2 years, was prescribed Prednisone

Customer Question

My cat, 13 lbs, age 2 1/2 years, was prescribed Prednisone Solution 0.25 ml TWICE per day for 2 weeks for possible asthma- then 0.25 ml ONCE per day for 2 weeks to begin weaning. The second 2 weeks is now over and though I called his vet and left a message (with receptionist) asking how to continue the weaning process, (and I was assured that the doctor would return my call by 1PM) - the office is now closed, they left for the day, and I have no idea what to do. It's Saturday and I fear that over the weekend is too many days to continue the dose 0.25 ml. beyond the second two weeks. Can you please help us?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Please don't be alarmed. I might continue the once daily dosing indefinitely depending upon how well my patient was doing. There's no harm in continuing once daily dosing over the weekend. If you prefer to continue tapering, you would now go to every other day dosing for a week, and then stop administering the prednisolone. Please tell me the concentration of the prednisolone solution you've been giving Riley. It will be in mg/ml. I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation.