Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Jill. We have a 6 1/2 month old female goat. She has a

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Jill. We have a 6 1/2 month old female goat. She has a cough. I've read that its normal for a goat to cough. but this baby will cough 4 or 5 times then she is fine for a little while. It's a dry hacking cough, no runny nose. She still eats her food and plays with our other goat. I might mention, my Husband still gives her a bottle of cow's milk , thinking she is still "little". I just want to give her something that would help the cough. Since milk is mucous forming, would it help to forget about the bottle? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, she is old enough now that the milk isn't necessary and should be discontinued. If she is small, then we'd want to increase her normal feed ration as opposed to continuing to give this. Especially as milk can thicken the mucus in the throat and this could very possibly be the root to our current signs. So, removing her access to that would be our first step here.

Otherwise, I do have to note that it is possible to see increased coughing related to infectious and environmental (ie dusty or sharp hay, her chewing on irritating plants or items she should not) causes. Still, to hear that there are other non-infected goats in contact and with her being otherwise well; these would be lower on our list of concerns at this stage. And in this case, while I do want you to monitor her, I would suggest trying some supportive care.

Further to the halting of her bottle, I would suggest trying to soothe her throat by either administering a few milliliters of plain honey, plain honey/glycerin cough syrup (without drugs) or Children's Robitussin DM (5 ml ever 8-12 hours). Just to note in regards ***** ***** Robitussin, do make sure to only use that one (avoid any with paracetamol, pseudoephrine, acetaminophen, caffeine, etc. since many of the cold medications are not goat safe). But in the case of all of these, they can reduce throat irritation and therefore coughing. Finally, if she has access to hay that is quite sharp/rough, consider soaking it before feeding to reduce that irritation for her throat.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember torate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still coughing some, but not as much as before. Thanks again for your help. God bless and take care. Renie Simmons.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Renie,

I am glad to hear that it is reducing. Keep up the good work. :)

If you find that it doesn't totally settle, you may want to consider having a stool sample checked to just make sure there are no wormer resistant lungworm causing this left over bit of cough.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do the stool check. I read about liver flukes. That could be the problem. Thanks .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Fluke don't usually cause cough but they are a commonly missed parasite when people are worming. So, having a stool sample tested will check for both of those creepy crawlies and ensure we aren't missing anything for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.