Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Almond started yakking last Sunday. He was yakking and

Customer Question

Hi
My Almond started yakking last Sunday.
He was yakking and throwing up dry food. Wet pate went in and he hold it down.
In the meantime I knew that he chewed some plastic back !!
I vent to the vet and the they couldn't even examine him, he went WILD, they couldn't hold him down. At the second attempted he was so upset , he did a poo and plastic bag came out. I was told to watch him till next morning and come back if the yakking didn't stop. He was still yakking. I was told that that they will do X-ray , but it is hard to see plastic bag on X-ray . The X-ray showed that his stomach is full. They opened him up and there was no plastic inside.
I was traumatised .. He was opened up for nothing !!! He is just recovering and still yakking after cooked chicken , which I was told to feed him with.
Also one week before it happened I put him on prescription diet (r/d). At first he was passing a lot of wind. Could that be connected? Upset stomach ?? He is an indoor cat. He went out three time this year in his harness 2 months ago, so not many chances to eat something outside.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Had he only been vomiting the dry food since the R/D diet was started?

What treatments is he currently on?

Did the vets test any bloods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After introducing R/D he was passing a lot of wind. Then a week later he was yakking, but at the same time I knew that he swallowed bits of plastic bag. When he did a poo at the vet some plastic came out. He was still yakking after that so I took him back and they said that something could be stuck.
He is recovering after they opened him up and found nothing inside.
There was no blood test. No treatment at the moment. I'll be seeing them on Monday for a check up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now it does sound like Almond is being challenging; especially by having multiple potential triggers arising all at once. In regards ***** ***** question, especially if we had gas, it is quite possible that the diet was not agreeing with him. We can see it cause microflora imbalance (which could have caused the gas) or some cats can have dietary sensitivities or develop pancreatitis (less likely since R/D is low fat) when a diet doesn't agree with them. That said, with his continuing to vomit even with the chicken, it does make us wary of something else lurking or one of the above reaching a point where he is just caught in a nausea/vomiting cycle.

Therefore, while it is unfortunate that he was opened and nothing was found, I would note that it'd be ideal to speak to his vet about medical management for his continued signs. They can treat him by injection or send home anti-nausea medication (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Zofran, etc) to help you combat this for him. Otherwise, you could at least try him on an over the counter antacid like :

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever we use, the aim would be to reduce his nausea so that he can then keep that light diet down. Just to note, if he is sensitive to chicken, you can use boiled white fish, scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its onion /garlic free) or have the local vet dispense a GI sensitive diet (ie Royal Canin Gastrointestinal, Sensitivity Control, or Hills I/D). And finally, you could also consider adding an OTC feline probiotic (ie Fortiflora, etc) to help restore his normal gut bacteria population.

Overall, it is quite possible that the diet change set off his current signs. That said, with him still vomiting now, we do have to be wary of other issues (like pancreatitis, but also infectious agents). Therefore, we'd want to at least treat for his nausea just now alongside that light diet. But if he isn't settling, then it may be worth having some bloods checked to help you narrow down those other concerns for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for that,
Just to add ... He was vomiting only dry food. Sometimes only saliva came out. He is not on R/D anymore after the operation.
At the moment he is eating chicken (I add drops of water to it as he doesn't want to drink at all )
He is holding the chicken down but yakking in-between as if he has problems swallowing . Sometimes he was yakking even though he wasn't eating. NO vomiting at the moment.
I also know that he is full go poo and hasn't been to the toilet since Tuesday...should I bee worried ? He is toilet trained (no litter) so he has to jump on the toilet and push in a funny way ;) , is that ok when he has been stitched up? He did wee though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If it was just the dry, then it could be a dietary sensitivity. Or sometimes if they eat dry too quickly or have too much, we can see the dry expand in the stomach as it absorbs stomach fluids and that too can cause vomiting or retching. Still, again if he is retching after chicken or with nothing recently ingested, this does support underlying nausea. So, we do need to address that.

Otherwise, since he has had surgery, I suspect that he's likely feeling sore at least in that abdominal muscle layer they would have cut through. And like women who have C-sections, I suspect he is feeling uncomfortable when he has to bear down and pass feces. So, he is likely holding it for as long as possible and that is also likely why he positions himself funny in the box. In this case, I would suggest treating him (in his food or directly) with a daily dose of cat hair ball treatment. That will lubricate the gut and should help him pass stool easier. As well, if he is on no treatments at all, it may also be worth ringing the vet about pain relief for him since he is very likely tender at that surgery site.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joanna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.