Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 14-yr old fem cat was started vomiting 3 days ago, it was

Customer Question

My 14-yr old fem cat was started vomiting 3 days ago, it was yellowish in color. I then noticed she wasn't eating. I started feeding her watery wet food at first to make it easier on her stomach. Then I began giving her just regular wet food. I noticed tonight her upper left canine is loose. Could this be the reason she stopped eating? I dont know if I accidently did it while feeding her. What should I do, she has lost some weight, but she has kept the food down and still frinks water and uses litterbx!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If a tooth is loose, this is very significant dental disease. There is a peri-odontal ligament that holds the tooth in the socket. It takes many months of peri-odontal disease before the ligament breaks down and the tooth is loose. There is sure to be other dental disease present in the mouth as well.

What she needs, is a dental procedure. They typically do full mouth x-rays and then remove any diseased teeth. There will likely be a handful of teeth that are removed that are not loose, but they have disease present. The rest of the teeth are cleaned and polished.

This should get her much more comfortable and allow her to eat normally again. Until then, try feeding a canned food, as it'll be easier to swallow without chewing.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
So you don't think I knocked it loose by feeding her myself?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Oh no, it takes a good 15-20 minutes of drilling before a healthy canine tooth can be moved manually. If it's loose in the socket, it's been dying or dead for months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I use to feed her, until I can get to a vet?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You can continue to syringe feed or try a canned food that is watered down into a gruel. That should be less painful to lap up.