Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Cat was declawed two days ago. She is 6 months old, and

Customer Question

Cat was declawed two days ago. She is 6 months old, and weighs 7 pounds. We were given Meloxicam Oral Suspension 0.5mg/ml (to be given at 0.33 doses every 24 hours), and Buprenorphine 0.3mg/ml Mucosal Administration (to be given at 0.1 mls every 12 hours). Today, I purchased Revolution for flee care, and administrated it at 3pm. It was 11 pm, when the next 12 hour dosage was to be administrated. I gave it to her and she completely laid out. Shes responsive and everything, but its just bothering me a lot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is so lethargic. Just to clarify, you gave the Buprenorphine at 11pm and after that she became lethargic? Buprenorphine does not usually cause sedation, but that doesn't mean that your kitty isn't more sensitive to its effects. The sedation and lethargy should wear off in 2-4 hours.

Meloxicam and Revolution do not have any sedative properties, so I would not suspect those meds.

For this evening, I would recommend watching your kitty closely. Do not allow her to sleep on something cold like a tile or cement floor, keep her on a warm bed but don't wrap he up unless her body temperature drops below 100 degrees. (you can take a kitty's temperature via rectum with a standard digital thermometer. Normal temperature for a cat is 100.5 to 102.5).

In the morning, I would very gently touch your kitty's paws to see if she is still painful. If she cries or pulls her paws away, you can assume she is painful and I would give more buprenorphine to keep her comfortable.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost instantly after giving her the Buprenorphine she laid right out. shes more responsive now, purring and all. But this morning when I had given her the Bupren. and the Meloxicam she had no side effects at all. Could the Bupren and Revolution combination be causing that?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

No, I suspect the sedative effects of the buprenorphine are becoming more cumulative as you give more doses. I would watch her again tomorrow morning for similar effects if you need to give the pain medication again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually this was the final dosage that I was given. So I guess time will tell now. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Have a quiet evening. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitty this evening? Is she back to normal with activity level? How is her pain?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda