Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My 2-year-old male, neutered cat constantly pees on my bed.

Customer Question

my 2-year-old male, neutered cat constantly pees on my bed. I can't keep up with washing the linens, etc., and the urine goes right through and has totally destroyed two mattresses already. The vet checked him out thoroughly and has given him a clean bill of health re UTIs etc.
I've tried everything I can think of. I love the guy but my hubby wants to return him to the shelter from where we got him 18 months ago.
HELP !!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Busy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Any significant changes prior to this behavior starting such as a new environment, introduction of a new pet or person in the household?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Off and on for about a year and a half. I moved to a new apt. a year ago and unfortunately will be moving again this coming November (2015). Nothing that I can notice precipitates the inappropriate urination...he'll be fine for about a week, then he does all his peeing on my bed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't inappropriately urinate anywhere than my bed.

Okay thanks for the additional information. A lot of times when cats experience inappropriate urination it could be due to some type of stress or anxiety. In my experience cats can be quite unique pets because it does not take much to cause anxiety in them. Therefore one thing you can ask your veterinarian about is placing him on an anti-anxiety medications. The most common medication I like to prescribe cat with this issue is a drug call amitryptylline. It is usually a pill that is given once daily to see if it helps with the urination. Another option is a medication called Buspar. If you don't want to go the drug route you can try a pheromone product to see if it helps. There is a product called Feliway that is believed to help cats with anxiety or inappropriate behaviors. It usually comes as a diffuse or a spray

Also since he only goes on your bed, you may try some deterrant techniques to keep him off your bed. A couple of options to try is to either use a water gun or spray to deter him from going on your bed, or make a loud noise to scare him anytime he gets on your bed. This may stop the behavior, but he may never want to go on your bed again if this works even if he does not wish to urinate on it any more.