Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry that Lilly has managed to paint her fur with nail polish. If you were thinking about trying to remove it with nail polish remover, I'd advise against that approach. Non-acetone nail polish remover contains solvents (usually ethyl acetate), so I wouldn't recommend that it be used on a cat's skin/hair since it might cause issues if absorbed or ingested. That's true for other products which are solvents (paint thinner, for example).
The dried nail polish is fairly low toxicity which means I wouldn't expect significant issues other than perhaps mild gastrointestinal upset if Lilly were to ingest the polish.
If she spilled a lot on her fur, then I'd remove it by cutting her fur or trimming it with inexpensive mustached trimmers purchased at dollar or box stores. This actually will be the safest method of removing the polish although she may look a little odd until the fur regrows.
I hope this helps. Deb
I'm just following up on Lilly. Did you successfully manage to remove the nail polish from her fur? Deb