Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

Cat has kittens about 10 days to 2 weeks old and will not

Customer Question

Cat has kittens about 10 days to 2 weeks old and will not let them nurse.What can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

First, are you sure she isn't feeding them? Sometimes by 2 weeks moms are down to just feeding them a few times a day and you might be missing it. Sometimes weighing the kittens to know if they are gaining weight is the best way to know if they are getting food.

If she truly is not feeding them... there may be a reason. Are her mammary glands warm to the touch or painful? A mastitis or infection is one of the most common reasons for poor mothering and if that is what is going on, them mom will need antibiotics.

If she just won't feed them and they are not gaining weight then you need to bottle feed them. Kittens take to a bottle very easily. You can get a kitten bottle and kitten milk replacer at most pet stores. The milk replacer will have instructions as far as how much to feed. They need the bottle for about another week or 2. They can start eating solid food at 3-4 weeks. But don't use cow's milk... buy canned kitten food and make it soupy with the kitten milk replacer.

If she is not taking care of them at all then you will also need to stimulate them several times a day to urinate and deficate. You can use a tissue or cotton ball and gently rub their private parts to get them to go.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. Dr. Stacy