Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a malyan and she has been with me years. I fed feral

Customer Question

I have a Himalyan and she has been with me for 2 years. I fed feral kitties for 5 years in a parking lot and I found homes for all of them. Since I had been feeding 3 Maine Coons(siblings), for the entire 5 years, I took them home to live with us and they are love bugs and they love Indigo, but she is feeling overwhelmed and all of her cute mannerisms have changed and that makes me sad. She seems very angry with me at times.
The sisters have their own cat box and food in my second bedroom, would it be fair to keep them in their own room room throughout the night or during the day while I am at work, but not every day.
I don't know what to do, do you have any suggestions.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Deb and will do my best to help you today.

This is a tough situation although I can see both sides: I can certainly understand why Indigo might be upset. On the other hand, I can also understand why you'd want to bring these kittens into your home and provide for them.

I do have a few questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. How long have the kittens been in your home?

2. Did you completely isolate them so that Indigo had no contact with them?

3. If so, how long did you keep them separated?

4. Did you slowly introduce them to each other after the separation period?

5. How does Indigo behave towards them? Does she run from them or hiss/growl or attack them?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb