Treevet
Treevet,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Hyde Park Veterinary Hospital
89661231

I recently adopted my 4 month old kitten and s brother. My

Customer Question

I recently adopted my 4 month old kitten and his brother. My kitten was playful and energetic, but over the past few days he is now sleeping throughout the entire night and not playful. He isn't even interested in playing with his brother who bullies him. He drinks water and goes to the bathroom fine, but is becoming pickier. He constantly wants to lay down and just sleep next to me. Could there be something wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

Was he dewormed and examined by a veterinarian when he got his most recent vaccines? Is he gaining weight every week?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesnt seem to be gaining weight every week. Hes growing but seems thin still. He was examined but not dewormed.
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

Hmm. We can't completely rule out the possibility that his personality may just be more subdued and may always be a skinnier cat.

However, deworming is really important in a young cat. They almost always have worms from their mother and those worms can make them thin and lethargic. Feline Leukemia virus and Feline Immunodeficiency virus should also be considered for adopted kittens.

A change in diet may also be in order. Some foods are just not that good and may not provide optimal nutrition for him. It's also possible that the food may be great, but not great for HIM. Meaning, for whatever reason he can't digest it as well or he may be sensitive to it.

I think your first step, if possible, would be to head to your vet to get some deworming and talk to them about Feline Leukemia and Immunodeficiency testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. He was already tested for FIV and FelV. His brother and him both tested negative. They were tested around the time they got neutered. I am trying to get him to eat more protein based foods so he can get more energy. He tends to like the Tuna based canned food more than just poultry.
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

That is good news. Those are nasty viruses and it's nice to know they are safe.

I would also try some dry food as it tends to be more calorie dense and he may gain some more weight with that.