Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog has recently started pooping in the house only in the

Customer Question

My dog has recently started pooping in the house only in the morning. he does not ask to go out side he just poops in the corner of the dining room, normally he will stand by the door and whine at me to go outside. i don't know if maybe his urge to poop is that strong that he can't hold it or whats happening. I switched his food 3 months ago he likes it better or he will actually eat it he refused to eat his last food. He has been losing weight too its in the normal range but he still lost weight pretty quickly after changing food. could there be something wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What was the food you changed your dog to? Do you know if it has increased fiber content vs the previous diet you had him on? If his increased frequency in defecating is related to his diet, then there is a possibility that his newer diet may have increased fiber. Fiber can stimulate the bowels in some dogs making them feel the urge to go to the bathroom more frequently. Other issues that can cause this is an intestinal parasite.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed him from purine to natures recipe I'm not sure if it has more fiber. I just know that he only does it in the morning and it's been about 3 weeks now. Then because he normally will whine to go out side my thought was he can't hold it In so he just goes.

Okay thanks for the additional information, if the stool is no different in consistency and he is fine with his bowel movements during the rest of the day, then I would likely contribute it to the diet. There are a couple of options you can try to see if it helps with the behavior. What is his feeding schedule? If you feed him twice a day, you may want to feed him a little later so he may want to use the bathroom at the normal time in the morning. You can also try to take him out about a hour earlier in the morning as well. Also you may want to try him on a trial of a sensitive stomach diet for about a week and see if that behavior changes and that will further confirm that it is related to diet vs a medical condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feed him twice a day usually around 6 am and 5-6 pm. What would a sensitive stomach diet consist of?

Okay you try feeding him around 8 pm or 9 pm to see if that makes a difference. A sensitive stomach diet can vary based on the brand, but most tend to have less fat, and in most cases less fiber to help dogs with a sensitive stomach