Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 6 month cat was t by a car on 9/27/15 And has a fractured

Customer Question

My 6 month cat was hit by a car on 9/27/15 And has a fractured pelvis. She doesn't seem to feel her left back leg and drags it. i chose not to have surgery as it was $7000.00
She is in a cage and I let her walk in a small bathroom. She is on pain meds. Will she gain feeling in her leg over time?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she shown any feeling or ability to use the leg at all since this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She can get up and move around but drags her back leg. I've pinched it to see if she feels it and it doesn't appear that she does not. However everyday she is more alert and active. Is there something I can do for her or will the feeling come back over time as she heals?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now do you mean that it appears that she doesn't have feeling or does?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't appear she has feeling she is dragging her back leg. I have pinched it and she doesn't respond. Is it too early to tell if the damage is permanent? It will be 2 weeks on Sunday. She seems stronger every day. She moves around in a small bathroom. I massage her all over to stimulate her. Please let me know. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

Now these are situations where we do always have to tread with care. Nerves are easily damaged and paralysis is often permanent. That said, nerves are one of our slowest to heal tissues, so it is early days for that leg even at 2 weeks when the rest of her tissues are well on their way to healing. Therefore, since we have 4-6 weeks of cage rest for those hip fractures to heal, we want to give the nerves in this leg at least that much time. We want to keep monitoring her use and movement with this leg. We may never get full function, but as the inflammation around the nerve reduces and the tissues heal, we could get some feeling and use back. Of course, if we get to ~6 weeks and she still has no feeling at all, then we'd have to assume that nerve function to that leg has been lost. If we do find that is the case, once her pelvis is healed (and of course depending how severe its injury was), you could consider amputation of the leg as cats do tend to do very well even with 3 legs (where we'd struggle losing a leg, they take it in their stride). So, it is early days but there is a chance we could get some nerve function back.

Please take care & best wishes for Molly,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )