Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a small female short-hair, raised from feral. She has

Customer Question

I have a small female short-hair, raised from feral. She has been ill this year with a uri that developed into some sort of breathing / nasal problem that didn't clear up until after 2 weeks of liquid clavamox.
About a week after that she developed a loss of balance which I thought was a vestibular problem. I took her to the vet for testing yesterday and they found out she was secretly anemic, with a red count of 4. This is primarily due to fleas which I was very shocked to learn because although I don't handle her much, I have never seen a flea on her or in her area. She was also dehydrated and under-weight at only 4.8 lbs.
She was given vaccines, and an IV. Her teeth were ok and we are still awaiting lab results for parasites in her blood. I picked her up about 4pm and she was very hungry. I fed her small amounts of canned food mixed with a little bit of water per the vets recommendation, and she seemed good but got up sometime in the early morning hours and vomited her food. She was not interested in breakfast and still has not eaten all day. I contacted the vet around 1pm and they had me put some Mirtazapine on her ear (4pm) but she has not responded and has become very lethargic.
I am hoping that she is just wore out from such a big day yesterday (she had never been through that since she was a kitten and was spade). She is only five and I feel like I am going to lose her.
Should I take her to an ER? Please advise, thanks-James
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet also gave a kitten-size dose of flea medicine on her back.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm sorry for the delay in response - it appears that Experts weren't available in the overnight hours. I just logged in for the morning and I saw your question. I know that you may not need info at this point but I also don't want to leave you hanging!

Sometimes mirtazapine can make them a little dopey, but with a red cell count that low, I would certainly consider a trip to the ER for a blood transfusion. Sometimes these guys need more than just at home care to get them through. It sounds like your vet has done a great job so far, but if she's not improving and she dose look quite sick (as I would expect for a kitty with an anemia as severe as you are describing), then it's time to take the next step and see if she's a candidate for a blood transfusion. This would make her feel tremendously better in a hurry while you are working on the fleas and possible infectious agents.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing and let us know if we can answer any other questions!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spooky passed peacefully in my hands this morning. She was only 5 years old, but my vet felt that with her being feral and in such a fragile state she was not a good candidate for a transfusion. Thanks-J
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that :( Thank you for updating me, though.

The website will continue to send follow up messages, some of them will look like they've come from me. I'm sorry for that - I've got no control of the automated processes from here out.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss

~Dr. Sara