Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog got into the cat box he has before and was sick day

Customer Question

My dog got into the cat box he has before and was sick for a day and then completely got over it I bought a new cat litter tidy cat and it is a clumping formula he must have gotten into it last night and today he has not pooped I'm concerned
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.

What is your dog's age and weight please?

When you say he was sick for a day what were his symptoms?

Is he trying to poop and nothing is coming out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He tried to poop this morning and nothing would come out. In times past if you got into the cat litter he may not poop for a day but then the next day maybe have some diarrhea and then totally over it back to his normal self and healthy He is 11 years old and American cocker spaniel and he weighs 50 pounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate breakfast and he's walked around a lot he's also slept a lot but he's not eating his dinner tonight that he may later on I'm not sure
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Ok I am not too worried if he goes a day or two without having a bowel movement as long as he is eating, drinking, and otherwise normal.

If he keeps straining to go, or blood comes out, or he stops eating then he should see a vet.

I would try giving him some fiber to help bulk things up and move then through. If he is 50 pounds you can do a tablespoon of Benefiber or two tablespoons of canned real pumpkin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Gabby I'm paying for the phone call the website leads me to believe I will talk to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't guess it's necessary… But he did have a little blood this morning but he has had a little blood in the past with some type of inflammation in his stomach the vet said and then he returns to perfectly normal and healthy without any problems
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I can not do a live phone call right now. I will opt out so another vet can call. ; )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** I wanted to be sure you can no further questions about your dog after your conversation with Dr. Gabby.