Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat has a very dark thin line across the tip of s nose

Customer Question

My cat has a very dark thin line across the tip of his nose and connects to the nostrils. Can you please tell me what could be the cause of this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question about Snowy. Can you post a picture of this so I can see what you're seeing? That may help out quite a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent you a picture of Snowy
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Darn. Can you try that again? All I can see is what is typed above.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm currently not set up to handle phone calls. If you want I can opt out for another expert to step in if they can? Sometimes positing a picture is hard. Seeing what you're seeing is going to be important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if you received the photo of my cat?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

There must again be some problems with the system. All I'm see is what is posted above. The paper clip icon can be used to attach photos here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Very good job on the photos!! Snowy looks very intrigued by the camera. That is interesting! Is she somehow getting into some soot or dirt? If you take a damp white towel and rub that area does it come off or stain the towel? It looks like staining from things from the environment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried cleaning it with warm water and soap but it still doesn't work.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

How long has it been there? Did it all appear at once? Did it slowly appear? Is she licking or rubbing at it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just noticed it today. Hes not liking it and itsee not bothering him
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for my delay. I had to get my son to soccer practice. That is good that she's not bothered by it. My suspicion is it ia something that she got into that caused this staining. As long as it isn't spreading and it isn't bothering her, I would hope it lessens / fades within a day or so. Could it be some oil or dirt or stain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so. The line extends to both of his nostrils too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any diseases of the nose that it could be? He does have fleas really bad. Just treated him today.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

This doesn't look like an infectious situation. Flea problems don't typically show like this. My guess is something environmental that has gotten into the bridge of the nose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I maybe take him to the vet to check for a fungus or bacteria? Do you think it could be anything like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had one more question please. I would like to give my cat omega 3 fish oil and prebiotics. Could you suggest how much of each would be good to give to my cat. He weighs about 7lbs
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

You could give this a couple days to see if resolves. It doesn't seem like a critical situation. As far as the need for fish oil or prebiotics, most of the time these aren't needed. Cats can be a challenge to take any medications so adding these into the diet may throw them off and make them not eat as well. I would worry that the giving of them most likely won't provide much benefit and most likely stress them out.