Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a question about my cat Leo. He is taking medicine.

Customer Question

Hello I have a question about my cat Leo. He is taking medicine for seizures. Is there anything else that i can do to help prevent future srizures other than the daily medication.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Leo's medication will be the foundation of keeping him stable. Further to this, we do find that keeping the household calm, quiet, and avoiding flashing lights (as in some TV programs) can also reduce the number of seizures pets have. As well, I would note that if he is an epileptic, then we'd want to avoid any cat nip with him. While this is a common feline treat, it has been shown to affect the seizure threshold and increase the chance of animals have a seizure when in contact.

Finally, there have been some studies in people that have suggested that supplements like Vitamin E, taurine, L-carnitine, omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish), thiamine and folic acid have helped reduce seizures. Therefore, you could certainly add a feline specific vitamin supplement with these (plus we do find L-carnitine in a lot of cat calming products) to his care to help try to reduce his frequency of seizures.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been trying to keep things quiet and try not to flash lights in front of him. Also his vet gave me fish oil to givr him every other day. Sometimes i forget to give him bit i give him. He's been good so far and hasn't had one in a month and a half. He is taking keppra twice a day and is on diet food to lose weight. I wjust wanted to know if there was something else i could do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to see that you are already taking some of those steps. In regards ***** ***** fish oil, it is best to keep up on those but missing a dose won't cause harm. But otherwise, I would advise adding in those other supplements I noted to help further reduce this for him.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer. One more question. What are the chances he has another one? Since he is on meds shouldn't it prevent future seizures from happening. I want to do everything in my power to make sure he and my other cat are healthy and that he doesn't get another seizure.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Now seizure frequency does depend on the cause for it. If this is due to epilepsy, then this tends to be one of the more medication responsive causes for seizures. And we can get our patients quite stable with seizures to a minimum (once in a blue moon in some cases). That said, you do need to change your aim here, otherwise you are likely setting yourself up for failure. No seizure medication can prevent all seizures (not even in people with epilepsy) but if his vet can get him stable on the dose they are using, then those future seizures should be minimal and rare in occurrence.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Leo's case his vet and Neurologist dont know example what caused him to have seizures. He has/had all things a healthy cat should have. The neurologist believes it may have been a combination of things. She didn't believe it as necessary to have a mri because he hadn't had any repeated seizures since then and the media seems to be working and keeping the seizures at bay. He has been acting likeb his usual self since he had his last one. I am an overly worried pet owner and don't ever want him to experience that again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know like the neurologist told me the ultimate goal is to get him seizure free but the more realistic goal is to have the seizures as few and far between as possible.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I understand that it will have been traumatic, as cat seizures can be quite sudden, violent, often coming on without warning. Still, it sounds very positive if he hasn't had another since treatment. And yes, that is our ultimate goal and what we want ideally but our realistic goal is more likely and therefore acceptable in these cases. So, you sound to be on the right track.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr B for listening to my ranting. I'm not a big fan of medicine for humans or animals but if it helps him from not having any episodes then I'm all for it. He is doing really well so far and has gone back to his normal routine that he was doing before getting sick.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I can understand that, but I am glad he has responded to the one medication so well. That is really a best case scenario since some need multiple drugs and multiple adjustments to those to find as good a response as he has shown. Hopefully, he will continue to do well, such that he can either stay on this dose (which is likely low if he hasn't had much adjustments by his vets) or perhaps have it lowered over time.

Best wishes to Leo,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?
Dr. B.