CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

Just doing some research. I noticed one of my cats lower

Customer Question

Just doing some research. I noticed one of my cats lower canine tooth had broken off a few months ago. The socket healed and looks good. Then today, I noticed the other bottom canine is gone and the gum also looks good. It just seems strange to me that they would both fall out or fracture without a history of trauma. All of her other teeth and gums look good too (I feel like I can say that with some certainty as I am an RN).
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Roo's tooth loss without a history of trauma is not at all unusual for a cat. It's been my experience that most tooth loss in cats is associated with either severe, chronic periodontal disease or cervical line lesions aka FORL (a poorly understood erosion of the tooth at the gumline.

Since she is an Abyssinian, she is more prone to dental problems than the average cat. So are Siamese.

She may very well have other teeth with disease that needs addressing. A trip to your vet is in order (it's not an emergency) to assess her overall dental health. She may very well need scaling of calculus and polishing (just like human teeth cleaning) and she has a pretty good chance of having other teeth that are loose and need to be pulled.

This is, unfortunately, not a rare situation. Many cats are just prone to dental problems and you have to work harder to keep their teeth healthy - and they may lose them anyway. But it's part of maintaining overall optimal health so I am a big fan of proper dental care in my patients.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

On rare occasion, tooth loss in the cat is associated with dangerous underlying problems like metabolic bone disease or cancer in the jaw.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions about this or need clarification.