Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I got this little cat a year ago, Picked her up on street.

Customer Question

I got this little cat a year ago, Picked her up on street. The previous owner did not want her and threw her when she was only 4 weeks. she broke her pelvis. I did not know took her home and care for her however later I found out that because of the broken pelvis, she could not go to the poo! poor thing I had taken her to see the vet and they had manually clean inside of her to take out all of the poo! did it two times it cost me almost 1500$ and had to give her medicine everyday. Now she had the same problem and did not eat for at least 4 days. as she could not go . I can feel it in her intestine , very hard like a rock. I can not afford to have the vet do it for her like the last two time. I do not want to put her to sleep. Is there any way you can help her or where can I find a free vet for helping this poor cat? to help her at all? thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Cats such as Lindsay rarely can be managed in a conservative manner - laxatives and stool softeners, mainly. Apparently her pelvis hos folded in on itself and is obstructing her rectum. This is a surgical problem rather than a medical problem. If surgery can't be performed you're looking at a lifetime of conservative care and expense. Unfortunately, even a vet willing to work on Lindsay gratis wouldn't do so indefinitely and would recommend that she be euthanized as a kindness.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your kindness replied. I will care for her as long as I can with the medicine. If it is time for her to go I would then.
regards!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How ever if I put her to sleep. Would the vet do it for me? and what is the cost? thanks

You're quite welcome. I wish I had better news. Yes, vets euthanize pets. Costs vary especially if the remains need to be handled by the vet hospital. Always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done for your pet.

Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?