Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can I give my cat liquid benadryl?

Customer Question

Can I give my cat liquid benadryl?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How many milligrams of diphenhydramine in each mls (see label)?

5- What is the problem with Trixie?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trixie is not on any medication. She weighs 8lbs. . No pre existing condition, except she cannot digest her hair. The benadryl has 5mls to a teaspoon.Trixie has a COLD!!!!!beena
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Can you look at the ingredients and tell me how may milligrams of diphenhydramine are in each milliter (mls)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5mls to a teaspoon, as I said previously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just answered your questiojn.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I understand I read what you told me. 5mls is the amount in a teaspoon. In other words, if you measure the amount of fluid carried by a teaspoon it is 5 mls. What I need to know is the amount of the actual drug in Benadryl that is called Diphenhydramine in each mls. The drug (diphenhydramine) is measured in milligrams (mg). Liquids are measured in mls and solids are measured in milligrams. So, if you look at the label it should tell you how many milligrams of diphenhydramine are in each milliliter. As soon as you are able to give this information I will be able to give you an answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.5mg in ea. 5mls.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** exactly the information I needed. In response to your question yes you can give her benadryl. The dose is 1mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. So, you can give her 3.2 mls every 12 hours.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teresa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter