Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 8 year old cat won't wat or drink is slow to move a

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat won't wat or drink is slow to move a vomited white mucus this am - I can feel something mushy but formed in his belly
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been refusing food and water?

Did the mushy feel like it could be stool in his intestines? Has he had diarrhea?

Or did it feel like fluid (like he was a water balloon)? Does he look bloated?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, string, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just this morning no food or water
We have 7 cats so stool? He did strain to go either pee or poop in the litter box a couple of nights ago
Lump is not mushy
Gums are pale pink
Yes he whines when I touch belly
He could have eaten something but he really has never done that before - he started hiding from the littler cats about 1 month ago and has gotten thin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do your response show here?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Since you noted a possible straining to urinate, have you seen him pass urine at all?

When did you last see him urinate?

If it feels like a lump, is it ball shaped ? Back towards the back legs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think he did its pellets hard to tell
Yes ball towards back legs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With 7 cats it is hard to tell boxes always have urine in them and there are 7 boxes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was crying in the night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I do appreciate that multi-cat households can make monitoring urine/feces difficult. Still, if you are feeling a ball like mass in the back portion of the abdomen, he is crying/uncomfortable when it is palpated, and we have not seen urine from him; then I'd be very concerned that Prince may actually have a blocked bladder. And this is an emergency situation.

Normal 0

When we have male cats who cannot urinate it is often because of a urinary blockage (crystals, inflammation, spasm, etc). These cats will often seem fine initially but perhaps show hiding, increased trips to the litter box or straining to urinate (in the box or at odd sites), and licking of the irritated privates. But as the bladder fills, they can become painful, vocalize, be lethargic, and even depressed/collapsed. And as time goes on with the bladder blocked, we see urinary toxins leak back into the blood. This can make them feel worse, vomit, refuse to eat/drink due to nausea and discomfort, and it can even slow and stop their heart (and be fatal) if not unblocked and emptied immediately.

Therefore, if he has what feels like a firm filled bladder at that point in his abdomen (you can compare this feeling to other cats in the house...all can have a degree of filling but likely won't be as obvious as his) and he hasn't been seen to urinate recently, then I would strongly advise getting him seen right now (by the ER vet if your vet isn't open).

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find one local to you, you can check
Normal
0
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patti,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is home from hospital - your diagnosis was right
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am very glad to hear that you acted quickly after we spoke and he is safely back home after that blockage. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the informationyou need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )