Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Smallish mass inside my two year olds cats throat on left

Customer Question

smallish mass inside my two year olds cats throat on left side. smooth round and moves around
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This all sounds very optimistic for the mass you discovered. Masses that are stable in size (not changing dramatically) and move around are generally good. However, if this is dramatically changing in size/shape, draining or irritating/painful then it could be an area of infection and that warrants a visit to see his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this. It could be an abscess or focal bacterial infection which will require drainage and then antibiotics to clear.

If this is truly a mass/nodule/tumor then what is reassuring is that the majority of mobile dermal masses are benign in cats. However, it is always good to have your veterinarian take a look. There are a few non-benign masses we see in cats and the sooner these are identified and removed,the better. If it is not irritating him and not changing much, then you can monitor for a bit and have it checked at your convenience over the next few weeks. A fine needle aspiration by your veterinarian and view of this under the microscope or submission of the sample to a pathologist for evaluation will probably identify what kind of mass this is.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

If you would like to proceed in a Q/A setting like this, then let me know what questions you have. You can submit any pictures, if you think that would be useful when asking your questions by attaching with the paperclip icon, although I think a picture of this may be quite difficult.