CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

Cat has red linings around eye just finished same thing in

Customer Question

Cat has red linings around eye just finished same thing in other eye with vet care was not conjunctivitis what is this an allergy? Vet gave antilnflamatory and ointment for almost a month
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Bearing in mind of course that I cannot diagnose your cat, but only provide you information and help guide your decision-making process, here goes.

I have been practice 33 years - the last 24 of which have been in my feline-exclusive practice. So I see a fair number of feline eye problems. :-D

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

The single most common cause of non-traumatic eye disease in the cat is feline herpesvirus. So ther is a very good chance, just based on statistics, that this is what you are dealing with.

Feline Herpevirus (FHV) is extremely common in cats - they virtually all get exposed and persistently infected as kittens. It is exactly like the human herpesvirus that causes cold sores in this regard. Most cats are not bothered by it, but in some cats we see varying degrees of intermittent problems with upper respiratory symptoms (sneezing, runny or snotty nose, nasal congestion) and eye problems (inflammation of the conjunctiva, corneal ulcers, major corneal complications).

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

I manage these cats primarily with lysine supplementation. It has been proven to decrease virus shedding and decrease the duration and severity of symptoms. Because it is not a bacterial infection, antibiotics are of no value in treating FHV eye or respiratory disease unless your vet believes there is a secondary bacterial infection. I rarely use antibiotics or antiinflammatories in these cats.

Lysine is not a pharmaceutical - it is a nutritional supplement that works by blocking arginine receptors. Since arginine is essential for FHV replication, this has the effect of slowing down or crippling the virus. Nothing can completely rid the cat of the virus, but we can make it less of an issue for the cat. There is no down side to using lysine for this in my experience.

I use Viralys powder, 1 scoop twice a day mixed into a tbsp of canned cat food, for a minimum of 2 weeks, and longer if needed. Some of my patients are on it very long term, though usually only once a day for maintenance. You can get Viralys powder online, in some pet stores, and some veterinarians may also carry it as an over-the-counter product.

Cats with FHV eye problems still do need followup visits, even if they are on lysine, to make sure the cornea isn't developing complications. It is very rare, though, for this to happen in cats receiving lysine twice a day.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
CalCatDoc