Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Cat 7 yrs old 17 pounds, coughing after drinking water is

Customer Question

Cat 7 yrs old 17 pounds, coughing after drinking water is the norm for him but today he is just walking around somewhat restless (normally sleeps all day) and I can hear him breathing and he sounds very congested. Isn't coughing like he's trying to cough something up. Last hair ball was 2 days ago. He is doing a lot of licking and pulling his hair on his back. I checked, there are no bugs, fleas, redness on the skin, or raised areas that look itchy. He started a new medicine Aug. 27, 2015.... Phenobarbital 20mg/5ml. He gets 2.5ml daily for seizures. Can I give him Benadryl or use a suction bulb like for babies to suck out the congestion if he'll let me?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is his feeding time should I wait to feed him until after you answer me???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't wait a day. You led me to believe it would be about 10 or so minutes!!!! Now my email is down because of the rain. I'm depending on this website
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My texting is working
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If you believe Routey to be congested i have to be concerned that the congestion may exist in his lower respiratory tract as well as his upper as would be seen with asthma, pneumonia, and even neoplasia. An antihistamine such as Benadryl would be contraindicated in those cases and there would be nothing to "suck out". His pruritis (itchiness) in association with his breathing leads me to think an allergic dermatitis and concomitant asthma are present and so having Routey's lungfields auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed should be considered at this time.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation and please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.