Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My kitten was diagnosed this but my vet told me more then

Customer Question

My kitten was diagnosed this but my vet told me more then likely I would have to put him down. I can't bare to do that what options do I have
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told the muscle in his anus does not work right which is causing poop to build up
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

What was the diagnosis that was made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They told me that the opening and closing part of his rectum is not working correctly. I forget the asact name of the diagnosis when I wrote the other statement on this website showed diagnosis of an other cat which was what my kitten had
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

There are a few things that can cause the anus to not work normally. The biggest issue we can have secondary to this is constipation or incontinence. To be honest, most kittens end up getting euthanized when they have a problem with the anal sphincter. It's usually secondary to a spinal cord disorder. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this. You end up having a cat that will just drop stools without any control. This alone is enough for most owners to euthanize. They can also get fecal impactions that lead to us having to anesthetize them and clean out the colon. These are pretty high maintenance animals.

If you are ok with these issues, then they are often normal mentally. It just takes a lot of vet visits and frequent treatment.

If this is going to be too much, then I would really just consider euthanasia. It's not an easy decision, but it is often the right decision.