Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I accidently put dog flea medication on my cat last night.

Customer Question

I accidently put dog flea medication on my cat last night. After realizing my mistake I tried to wipe it off not realizing at the time how toxic it was. Now almost 24 hours later he is shaking all over. I have taken a very wet towel and wiped him off because I am afraid to try to put him under the water. Is there anything I can do to help him survive until we can get him to the vet in the morning?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

You must use a dish soap, such as Dawn or similar, to lather up her fur well, to remove as much residue as possible.

Ideally, Wildman should be seen by an emergency veterinarian, to receive Methocarbamol, which is a drug that can reverse the effects of the flea product toxicity.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Aside from the dish soap bath, to remove the residual product, there is not any at home treatment, other than keeping Wildman in a dark, quiet, warm place, to reduce unnecessary stimulation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that doing that would cause him to freak out and cause seizures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is shaking pretty bad
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure where you read that, but it needs to happen.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

The poison is absorbed through the skin, and the longer it is on the skin and fur, the worse the condition will become.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

It is true that cats hate baths, but I don't see any other choice for you, if you are unable to obtain veterinary care right now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we gave his rear and neck a bath with dish soap. Anything else
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

That's all you can do at home, like I mentioned earlier. Intravenous Medication is the ideal treatment but that's not available for home use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting him to eat some tuna and milk is that ok
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

yes, eating is fine, no reason to withhold food at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will get him to the vet first thing in the morning. Will check on him through out the night. No emergency vet in our area