petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is real sick...no fever, was at vet and they couldn't

Customer Question

My cat is real sick...no fever, was at vet and they couldn't find what was wrong, thought it might be blockage but he is 7yrs 2 mths old, male, nuetered, has heart mermer. Stopped eating and drinking on friday, threw up a couple times, didn't throw up anymore till Sat. evening, 4 times and 2 during night, Sunday I called our vet emergency # ***** one of the vets called me and told me to come into office at 8, she had to go in then. She gave him an IV and a shot to stop him from throwing up. Took him in Monday because he still wasn't drinking, They told me to bring in food, he wouldn't eat theirs, and they brought him to me. He just laid in our laps, they were concerened he hadn't pooped and when the nurse come in with her I ask her if he had, she said no, after a while one of the Dr. came in and said he had nothing in his stomach, he must have pooped, I just looked at him, I ask him what I should do, he wouldn't eat food I brought, he said thats not uncommon for animals not to eat at vet. He had not eaten since thrusday....I ask if I should take home and he said sure. They accidently gave me bloodwork sheet. they said was fine when I ask the day before about it...BUT it says the BASO is .42, MCV is 55.3 and PLT is 60. These come up on the sheet as high and low...what do you think. I am trying to feed cat with a syringe, I don't know what to do, I have had this cat since he was 4 days old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Did the veterinarian recommend any other sort of testing on Einstein? Xrays? Abdominal ultrasound?

Did they send him home with any medications?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medicine to take home, said they don't have a ultra sound, hard to believe because this vet office has 5 vets. this place is always busy, I am sure after all these years I have payed for plenty of them. He did finally poop, it was real hard and I put it in a freezer bag and took it apart and some like real hard hair in it , it was hard poop. I am feeding him with saringes. almost 4tsp of proplan hard kitten home made kitty cat soup, last feeding, also bought some vitamins at pet store today, and giving him kitten milk. he hasn't peed today, that worries me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it took so long, feeding time for family, and feeding time for other cats, and of course little Einstien.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What causes a low plt count, that seems awful low to me. Doesn't that mean he could bleed out internally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least he hasn't thrown up since he pooped today....that was weird, when he did poop he also had kind of dk green watery poop, wow, that was a trip to get off hair...white cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what caused that color of watery poo...it wouldn't be bile would it, or could it.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Platelet counts can be deceiving and cats will often have platelet clumping (usually noted on as a comment).This makes the actual platelet count less valuable and we will use the evaluation of the blood smear to get a platelet evaluation.

If he hasn't been eating well, there could be bile and his stool would be hard. If you are getting food and liquid into him, he should start having more normal stool, but if he is not eating on his own, he needs further investigation. Xrays or Ultrasound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the vet office today to ask them about the bad blood results....they probably about krapped that I had them....and there were 2 other vets there but they told me to call tomorrow when vet that was in charge of him was in. I am so worried, I never would have believed Einstien would get like this....we take really good care of our cats...5...all in the house all the time....shots...checkups....vet visits....dental care....can't believe this. how do you go about finding someone with a sonogram....I would hate to start from scratch...it isn't like they are poor vets, believe me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't that PLT count horribly low?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It is but if there is platelet clumping (as there often is), that absolute number is ***** You would have to ask for the blood smear evaluation.

As far as an Ultrasound, in most cases, a veterinary internal medicine specialist would be able to help. I would ask for a referral or you can use the link here.

LINK HERE

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.