Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a spayed cat who has major skin issues like loss of

Customer Question

I have a spayed cat who has major skin issues like loss of hair, itching, etc. I had one other cat years ago with the same issues and the vet treated her with hormones which relieved her problems. So, as long as she received the hormone she had no problems. Now, I have another cat with the same problems. The vets (2) I talked to seem reluctant to treat her with hormones. What do you suggest? The former cat who was on hormones lived a long, happy life.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. This medication helps with allergies because it has steroid effects in the body. It is the steroid effects that relieve the allergies and the skin problems. Unfortunately, there are also many other side effects. Use of this medication for allergies is now considered "off label use" which can get veterinarians in trouble if there are any adverse side effects, since this medication is not typically used for skin issues anymore. My opinion is that if you want the steroid effects of the hormone, just use steroids! Those will have great results and are commonly used for this purpose. I will discuss with your veterinarian giving your cat a steroid injection and seeing how things go. As an educated, modern vet, I'd never use ovaban for this purpose. As times change, medicine changes.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
use of the hormone is now "off label" for use for the skin issues? Thank you for your response. I will go with the steroid medication as prescribed by the veterinarian. I just want my cat to be comfortable and have no aggravating itching and hair loss!!
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is off-label use. I'd try the steroids, since that's basically what the hormones are doing (but with many more side effects)! Good luck.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

And please feel free to let me know if you have further questions after your cat gets the steroid injection. Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Bonuses are not required, but are appreciated. Have a wonderful rest of your night.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.