Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Took my cat to the vet after he vomited and became listless.

Customer Question

Hi, took my cat to the vet after he vomited and became listless. They took xrays and gave him fluids and anti nausea meds. the xrays showed nothing but gas. today he has still not absorbed all the fluids as they are still like a large pouch on his leg, but he wont eat and is listless and very warm and still not eating
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add to this: he had actually projectile vomited. The vomit was mostly water /fluids with just a few "kibbles' in it.no blood, fur or anything. His urine had been very thick for a while, almost like a syrup. He is an indoor cat only. The vet did a urine analysis, but they didn't inform me of anything amiss. I'm worried as he does have a history of strange vomiting incidents (over 3 years now) with rapid dehydration and decline but this is the most severe yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Is there anyone available?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry your baby is ill and your question was not answered as soon as you posted.

Can I please have more information?

What is his current food?

What and when did he eat last?

Did he have a fever at the vets?

How much subQ fluid was he given?
Does he have any known health issues or take any medication?

Is he an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Terri,
Thank you for your response.As previously stated, he is an indoor only kitty.His food is a variation of s/o, friskies pate canned (mixed variety), and whole farms grain free turkey and duck recipe dry food (in small amounts) He is fed his daily amount split up in 4 portions throughout the day as over the year this has proven to help him keep from vomiting. He seems to vomit if he's been without food too long then eats or if he eats large quantities. thus multiple feedings of smaller quantities have worked well.He did not have a fever at the Vet,they didn't state or write on the invoice the amount of fluids given. However, normally he absorbs the fluids within an hour or two and will urinate any extras out. He has urinated normally, but even today there is a bit of a "pouch" left.He has no known health issues but this mystery. no medication.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

You are more then welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. SubQ fluids last about 30 hours. during that time you will see a "pouch" where they remain until fully absorbed.

Hills S/O is usually recommended for cats with kidney disease. Such patients become very nauseated causing vomiting. Of course, gorging can produce similar symptoms.

Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian.

You can give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C every 12 hours to reduce nausea. I usually add it to a tablespoon of chicken or turkey baby food with no onion or garlic:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I also find elevating dishes helps like putting them up on a phone book.

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets before Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

Cats with only 25% of kidney function can do fine via SubQ fluids which can even be administered at home:

http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

Here is info on CRF and FUS

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/p/CRF.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthfus.htm

Please let me know how he is doing.I will always be here for you.I hope all will be well.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri