Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has a small bare spot on the bottom side of s tail

Customer Question

My cat has a small bare spot on the bottom side of his tail that he keeps bitting and licking. Acts like something is bitting him. He sprints around as if something is bitting or hurting him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Smokey. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be bothering Smokey here and we will cover some of these possibilities now. The main cause for irritation down by the tailbase is fleas. It sounds like you have been regularly applying Frontline which is good to hear, but it may be worth trying a new flea medication now. Thankfully there are quite a number of products available now. Because we also have to consider mites in this situation as well, I would recommend the product Advocate (Advantage multi). Applying this every month to all of the cats and dogs in your home will help to rule out fleas as the cause here. Please also wash all of Smokey's (and any other pets') bedding in the next few days as well.

The other main cause for irritation around the tail base like this is intestinal worms. Make sure your boy is up to date with a realiable allwormer. There are a number of good allwormers available including Drontal, Milbemax and Panacur. Milbemax is the easiest to give to cats as the tablet is nice and small. This needs to be done like clockwork to all animals in your home every 3 months.

Other potential causes here include impacted anal glands or even an allergy of some description. Your local vet will be able to carefully check this area under Smokey's tail, clear his anal glands and rule out other potential causes for this irritation in a full consult. If the irritation continues, then they will also be able to give an injection to help settle this itching.

The best place to start here however will be to try a new flea product (next time he is due), wash all of the pets bedding, and get your boy dewormed asap, or when he is next due, using one of the products mentioned above. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc