Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I work with adoption and 3 years ago we adopted out a pair

Customer Question

I work with adoption and 3 years ago we adopted out a pair of brothers that were caught as kittens after Hurricane Sandy. Although shy, they grew into well adjusted adults. They were in house only cats and adapted to the 2 dogs already in the household,
a boxer and a dachshund. They played together every night (as reported by the now owner). The owner adopted an abandoned pitbull puppy (Mom had 11 in the shelter and was not doing well )and bottle fed it from infancy. The dog has become more and more aggressive
towards people and other pets and yet they let it free roam the house. A cpl of months ago, it cornered one of the cats and mauled him, causing extreme injuries and the animal had to be euthanized. They have sent the dog out for 5 weeks of special training
but I told them to get rid of the dog, it will always be a problem and will eventually cause them a lawsuit. Anyway, the remaining cat has now become a behavior problem and the owners are dismayed. The remaining brother now lives in the basement and has started
spraying and is disoriented. My guess is that since the brothers were so bonded from birth, the remaining cat is displaced. My guess would be to introduce a young kitten for him to rebond with, but not while that dog is in the household. Would it be prudent
to try to rehome the adult cat in a home with a younger cat/kitten in the hopes that he would bond with that animal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund me.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hello there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm here and available to chat if you'd still wish. I'll be online for another 30 minutes - you can let me know if you'd like to continue by typing and sending a short reply. Bless you for the work that you do with rescues - this certainly sounds like a potentially scary situation and I'm glad you're helping. I'm here to help too if you need me. (Please don't give this answer a rating, as I've not addressed your question yet).

~Dr. Sara