Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

We have two 13 year old sister cats... one has been

Customer Question

we have two 13 year old sister cats . . . one has been described as a "torti". . . in the last year one of the cats has started not using the litter box . . . maybe all the time or maybe on some occasions . . . they are both indoor cats but the non-torti cat found a way to get in and out of the house five years ago for about a month . . . since then she has been in the house . . . generally they have played with and cleaned each other and slept with each other . . . occasionally in the last couple of years they have started hissing at each other and still behave normally together . . . we have cleaned the litter daily and changed it every other day . . . we also tried to separate and create two separate and different litter boxes based on where each spend most of the time in the house. . . thoughts on how do we deal with the litter box situation it is unhealthy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Most frequently, especially in older females, this is a medical problem. There could be crystals in the urine causing bladder irritation, or a chronic urinary tract infection, or a bladder stone. The first step here is to see your veterinarian for a urinalysis and potentially a bladder ultrasound. If a problem is identified, your veterinarian can treat it, and the problem should resolve. If no problem is identified, then your veterinarian can suggest behavior modification medications.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have brought the tiger sister to out long term vet. . . the torti is just not going to the vet . . she would have heart attack if we took her out of the house . . . the sister has no blood or urine issues . . . our vet has suggested an ultrasound . . . after the
$350 cost for the ultrasound is there a guarantee that we can help either or both of our 13 year old cats . . .
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Cats and dogs do not have heart attacks. She would be a little bit stressed, but she would recover from it. you asked if there is a guarantee that either of your cats could be helped… Of course not. But there certainly is no way to help them without finding out what is wrong. I charge $20 for a brief bladder ultrasound, and $350 sounds like a lot. There really aren't many techniques you can try at home without knowing whether this is behavioral or medical. You could try buying a Feliway diffuser on Amazon.com... You plug it in and it releases a pheromone that calms and soothes cats. You can help with behavioral or stress urination issues. If you do not want to take the Torti to the veterinarian, that is what I would try. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other thoughts beyond the ultrasound . . . or first steps before the ultrasound . . . this is like a second opinion . . . I like our new vet who has taken over from the vet we have used for 40 years . . . who had worked with us through three dogs and two other sibling cats . . . just seeking a second opinion. . . WAIT ! ! ! I just got your last response . . . why the crazy difference in the ultrasound price . . I know that I'm in the North Shore "Gold Coast" of Boston but that seems crazy . . . where are you?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I would do a urinalysis on the torti before an ultrasound. A brief bladder ultrasound to check for stones or masses in the bladder takes about two minutes. That's why I don't charge much for it. But a full abdominal ultrasound is only $140 at my clinic here in Michigan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks . . . that is the difference between Michigan and Massachusetts . . . do you know vets out her near
Salem Mass that don't charge that number for an ultra sound?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, when I worked at Fresh Pond Animal Hospital in Cambridge the prices were much higher than here in Michigan. I would just call around and price shop.