petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

4 year old cat, type 1 diabetes maintaining on diet. Very

Customer Question

4 year old cat, type 1 diabetes maintaining on diet. Very lethargic today. Not interested in treats. Not interested in cooking in the kitchen. Sat in spilled water dish and seems not to worried about that either.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Moonie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Those are very concerning signs in a diabetic cat. When was the last time he had his blood glucose checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has not been checked for a year. He is due for his annual checkup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband put treats on the floor in front of his nose and he didn't do anything. Scratched his usual favorites behind the ears and under the chin. No response.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

What diet do you usually feed him? Has he been maintaining his weight?

How is his water intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's not fat. He was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. We have been feeding him a 0 carb dry food for the last three months. He has seemed to do well. He hasn't seemed to have lost any weight. He's very furry so I'm basing this on holding him not looking at him.
His water intake has not seemed to change.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

What is the name of the food you are feeding?

When you say his water intake hasn't changed, is he drinking a lot? How many ounces (or cups) per day would you estimate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Young again zero Carb Mature Cat food
We put clean water in his dish twice a day. He has always, always peed a lot. I would say he drinks a cup to a cup and a half a day. But honestly, since both my husband and I empty and refill his dish, it's hard to know for sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he was first diagnosed, he would have accidents. We have not had any incidents of not making it to his box to pee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all of the replies to my questions. His behavior may or may not be related to his diabetic state, but is very concerning. Type I diabetic cats usually do not do well without insulin and with diet only changes. It is more the overweight type 2 diabetics that will respond to low carb diets and achieve better glycemic control when you limit their carbs. If he is a type I diabetic, there is less chance for his pancreas to start producing insulin on it's own again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything we should do this evening or just wait until the morning?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

So, that is the first thing I would worry about. On top of that, if a diabetic, we have to worry about the possibility of ketoacidosis, which is a more severe condition that can progress rapidly if not identified and treated.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

For that reason, I would recommend that you seek emergency services this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. The Pope is in town so I am hoping I can find one that I can get to. Thank you for your help
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Of course, there are certainly other metabolic disturbances as well as GI distubances that can occur and can lead to symptoms such as you describe, and it is impossible to know without an exam and bloodwork tonight which he may have, but since some are considered life threatening, it would be best not to wait.

Good luck.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Pope Francis is a lover of animals, so we can hope for some divine intervention to aid your search tonight. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heidi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.