petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

MALE CAT WAS JUST NEUTERED TWO WEEKS AGO AND THEY GAVE US A

Customer Question

MALE CAT WAS JUST NEUTERED TWO WEEKS AGO AND THEY GAVE US A MERTAZAPINE PILL TO GIVE HIM 1/4 TABLET IN CASE HE HAD DIARHEA. LAST NIGHT, TWO WEEKS LATER, HE HAD BAD DIARHEA ALL NIGHT LONG SO WE GAVE HIM ANOTHER 1/4 TABLET OF MERTAZAPINE. WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO TO STOP HIS DIARHEA?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Mirtazapine is a drug that is used for appetite stimulation in cats. It has no effect on the GI tract as far as treating diarrhea and I am not sure why it was given to you for that reason, or why they would expect he would have diarrhea after a neuter. If he has diarrhea now, two weeks after the neuter, it is not due to the procedure and I would expect there is aome underlying GI disease. I would definitely follow up with your vet for further work up and treatment.

In the meantime however, I would fast Domino to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult cat, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Z!!! I was up all night cleaning up liquid dirreahea in his litter box. He would miss and it would run down the sides onto the heavy duty plastic pad that I always leave under his litter box. I think it's called a litter catcher. So thank God I have that so it didn't go on my carpet. You have been very helpful and if this hasn't stopped by tomorrow I will take him back to my vet. Thank you so,so very much.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Poor guy. I hope he is better by tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I because I feel so bad for him.it breaks.my heart to see any animal sick. Keep him on your prayers. Again thank you so much for your advice! ! B renda
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. If you want to give me a follow up tomorrow, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.