Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My Maine Coon kitten is 9 months old and growing fast. He

Customer Question

Hi: My Maine Coon kitten is 9 months old and growing fast. He seemed perfectly normal until several weeks ago when it seems he developed entropion. I thought I saw a long hair in his eye at one point and wonder if this might have been the cause or if splashing from opening a cat can of food could have spilled in the eye to trigger this. In any case, why would this develop now when he seemed fine before. Is surgery the answer or is the rolling of the bot***** *****d trying to protect the infected eye because something is in it? (We went through a week of Gentocin eye drop anti-biotic to no avail and now another week of the steroid Genocin Durafilm to little avail.)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your question is apt. It's the job of Titan's vet to determine if an entropion is developmental or acquired - both of which are possible in a young cat such as Titan. I would expect to find either corneal damage or conjunctivitis if Titan's entropion were acquired. Please note that neither gentamycin (Gentocin) nor a steroid (as found in the Gentocin Durafilm) is indicated unless a diagnosis were confirmed and either of these drugs were appropriate. Most conjunctivitises in cats are viral (the feline herpesvirus in particular) and don't respond to antibiotics or steroids. Traumatic corneal damage is usually self-limiting but an antibiotic might be prescribed to avoid secondary bacterial contamination of the damaged corneal site. In summary, if no underlying disorder were found to explain Titan's entropion, it should be assumed to be developmental and a surgical problem Referral to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (please see here: www.acvo.org) should be considered.

I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.