Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat (9 years) has diarrhea, which seems to have started

Customer Question

Hello, my cat (9 years) has diarrhea, which seems to have started last night based on the litter box. It is not excessive, but when he went to the litter box this morning he let out a little cry, just once. He eats wet cat food normally with a little dry on the side. His sister (same litter) seems fine and eats the same food. He's a eater so should I continue to feed him the same food or do something different? Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Mr. Handsome had diarrhea this morning. Is this the first time you have seen diarrhea from him? Does he go outside where he could eat something that could irritate his intestines?

For today, I would recommend trying to see if he would eat some canned pumpkin. This has fiber in it that can help firm things up. There are no other over-the-counter medications that are safe for cats. As long as he keeps eating and acting normal, you can wait until tomorrow to take him to your regular veterinarian. If Mr. Handsome stops eating or there is blood in the diarrhea, I would recommend taking him to the animal emergency room today.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. If it does, please consider rating it.

Amanda Mouradian, DVM

Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Mr. Handsome this evening? Is the diarrhea improved? Did you end up taking him to your regular veterinarian?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda