Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

MY 2MONTHS OLD KITTEN JUMPED FROM A TOO GH PIECE OF

Customer Question

mY 2MONTHS OLD KITTEN JUMPED FROM A TOO HIGH PIECE OF FURNITURE. she is limping, unfortunately, it is 9pm and my clinic will not opened until 8am. She is holding up her paw, and sleeping, she has not eaten yet, i put cold compress on her foot. Is there anything else I can do ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does the foot look swollen?

Is it tender to the touch?

Can she walk on it at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not look swollen, it is tender to yhe touch, yes, she is not walking onit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She can put the foot down, but avoids it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the concern in this situation is that her lameness may be muscle strain/sprain related, but as she is quite young there is the risk of fracture here. If it is the former, we should see her progressively bear more weight on the paw as the shock of injury fade. But if we have a fracture, they usually won't improve with rest and time.

Unfortunately, you will be limited with what you can do here since OTC human pain relief treatments are all toxic to cats (some fatally so). Therefore, further to the cool compress, your mainstay here will be to rest her and limit her ability to walk on this. To do so, you may need to restrict her to a room where there is nothing she can jump on/fall off. Or you can even keep her in a cat carrier with food and water overnight (though we'd remove food after midnight so she has an empty stomach in the morning --just in case her vet needs to xray this paw without delay).

Now you noted that she wasn't keen to eat. This can be shock or pain related, but we do want to keep tempting her. If she isn't keen on her usual food, then you can offer her boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). If she were to become dull or show weakness from not eating or having a low blood sugar, that can be boosted by rubbing a sugary syrup on her gums (ie karo syrup, honey, pancake syrup, etc).

Overall, you are on the right track here with Rosebud. Though we are limited in what more we can do at home. Therefore, the above would be our mainstay here at this point. Otherwise, if she seems very sore, then we'd need to consider having her seen sooner for at least cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam) to reduce her discomfort and tissue inflammation.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.