Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I hope you can help my cat seems very ill she is damp and

Customer Question

I hope you can help my cat seems very ill she is damp and giving off a very bad odor and she is very lethargic
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Jinx. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long has she been like this for?
- Have you noticed any other symptoms? Is she eating, drinking and toileting ok?
- Is there anything around your home she could have gotten into?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating a little bit when I put a dish in front of her
It's hard to tell if she is using the box because I have two cats
She is damp and emanating a very bad odor
She seems in pain when I pick her upShe is very lethargic
This is about a week now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not rich so I can't afford a traditional vet
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like she needs to be seen by your local vet asap. I will opt out to see if anyone else has advice for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really need help
Will someone assist
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear that your cat is sick. Can you find any wounds on your cat? I am concerned about an open, infected wound on the skin that is making her ill. Does she have a fever? Can she walk and move around?

I know you mentioned financial concerns so I also have some suggestions for you so you can get your kitty help:

First, do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital that will have reduced prices for folks with lower incomes. They won't try to take your cat from you, they are good people who want to help nurse her back to health and return her to you. Secondly, have you considered CareCredit.com? That is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets.

Lastly, check out the following website. the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to people who want to help people with their vet bills.

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills

Please reply with more information about your cat so that we can figure this out together,

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think there is a woundIt's so hard to get to her because she does not want to be touchedIt does feel like there is a wound when I can get her in my arms
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Ok. That helps. I think the damp and odor is coming from a wound if that is what she has.

Do you think bathing is possible? That can help get the wound clean and reduce the odor.

I would recommend warm, wet compresses on the wound 4-6 times daily to help her fight off the infection. Take a hand towel or wash cloth and soak it in the hottest water that you can stand on your own skin. Then hold this on the wound for about 5 minutes.

You can also apply a triple antibiotic to the wound, but DO NOT allow her to lick it off. If she licks it off, she will likely develop severe diarrhea.

I would still consider taking her to a veterinarian tomorrow. Antibiotics can dramatically improve recovery time for the kitty.

I will be logging off in about 30 minutes, but I will be back on-line tomorrow afternoon to check on you.

Feel free to contact me with any more questions.

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
I will try the bathing
Jinx was given to me to help with my ptsd and I can't be without her
Do you have a direct email
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but due to restrictions on my veterinary license, I cannot communicate via phone or email with a client with who's pet I have not physically examined with my own hands. I can continue our conversation in this format though, without any conflict with my licensing board.

Do you more questions? If we continue with this thread, there won't be an additional charge beyond what you originally offered.

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to continue
I don't want to trauma her any more
I did carry her to the litter box and she cried the whole way
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Start with the warm compresses. That will draw out the infection and reduce her pain. She may be amenable to bathing tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in tears right now
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I hope these ideas help you care for her. I want her to get better quickly.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am logging off now for the evening. I will be back tomorrow afternoon and will check in on you and your kitty.

I hope the night is quiet and uneventful. Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi! How is your kitty? Any luck with the warm compresses or bathing?

Also, If you would consider rating our conversation, I would appreciate it. We can continue talking even after you accept the conversation, just continue asking questions via this thread.

I was thinking about you and your kitty today, let me know how he is doing.

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omg
Because of you jinx is doing a million times better
Send me the link to give you the rating you deserve
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

In the upper left hand corner of your screen there are 5 greyed out stars. Just click on the number of stars that you wish to assign to the conversation. It is that easy! Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Is your kitty completely recovered? Is the wound healing well?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda