Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My old cat had2 teeth removed 12 days ago. He is eating

Customer Question

My old cat had2 teeth removed 12 days ago. He is eating better than he has in years. I think something is wrong. He keeps scratching his head and face, and is sleeping a lot. He was suffering a lot before surgery, and had developed very bad diarrhea a few days before the procedure. He is still having very bad smelling poops, but is less watery, more like mud. Am I dealing with more than one problem. My vet put him on Amox., but I dxed it because of very watery stools.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** an I think I can help you with your cat. It sounds like Niner has 2 different problems:

1) a recent dental and scratching his face. I would wonder if your regular veterinarian placed stitches in your kitty's gums to help close the holes where the teeth were. Those can be itchy and bothersome to the cat an Niner could be pawing at his face to dislodge them. Can you look in his mouth to see if there is anything in there that could be bothering him?

2) Diarrhea and now cow-pie diarrhea. The diarrhea could have started from stress from the dental disease. Have you changed foods recently? Did your regular veterinarian send home pain medication in addition to the Amoxicillin?

I would recommend adding a probiotic such as Fortiflora or Proviable to Niner's food. Surgery can throw off their intestinal bacteria which leads to diarrhea and foul smelling feces.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pain meds, no food change, although just before surgery I gave canned food because he could not eat usual dry, that is when stools changed. Thought it would clear up by now. No stitches. Dry socket?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Dry socket is unusual in cats, their gums usually heal very well. Any other facial pain or discomfort when you open his mouth open wide? Also, food allergy can cause itchy skin, so that may be a reaction to the canned food. If it continues, you may need to have your regular vet check his mouth and face again.

I would still recommend the probiotic. I suspect his intestinal bacteria were thrown off from the canned food and the anesthesia. It can take several days for everything to get back to normal. 12 days is long time, but not unreasonable to think he is still "off" considering his age.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor. He never had canned food before. Will continue dry blue buff., I am hoping it is just a reaction to maybe feeling better that he is sleeping so much. He was in pain a long time before we could afford the surgery. Have a good night.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I will be back on-line tomorrow evening if you have any more questions.

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Niner this evening? Is he getting his energy back? Is he having normal stools?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda